Friday, July 8, 2011

Somebody Said That It Couldn't Be Done

Several years ago while conducting a training sessions with employees at a non-profit organization in Center City Philadelphia, an employee gave this important message to me. The employee used this as an inspirational message when dealing with negative people on the job or negative people in the course of living life. This is a wonderful short story and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. It reads as follows:

Somebody said that it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't,
But he would be one
Who wouldn't say so 'til he tried.
So he buckled right in
With a bit of a grin on his face.
If he worried, he hid it.
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done,
And he did it.


Somebody scoffed, "Oh, you'll never do that!
At least no one has ever done it.
But he took off his coat,
And he took off his hat,
And the first thing he knew, he had begun it.
With a bit of a grin
And a lift of his chin,
Without doubting or quitting,
He started to sing as he tackled the thing
That coundn't be done,
And he did it.

There are millions who will tell you
That it cannot be done.
Thousands will prophesy failure.
Hundreds will point out to you one by one
That the dangers which wait will assail you.
But just buckle right in
With a bit of a grin
And take off you coat and go to it,
And start to sing
As you tackle the thing
That couldn"t be done,
And you'll do it.


Discussion Questions:
Who are the people in your life who are always saying it can't be done?

What are the projects or assignments that you believe you can't complete?

When was the last time you overcame a particular situation because you believed it could be accomplished?

What tools do you utilize in order for you to listen to "whispers" within your soul from God?

Who are the people who motivate you to do creative work such as writing a book, designing a training program, playing a new musical instrument, singing for just the joy of it, and staying fit through exercise?

What habits do you practice every day that assist and help you to overcome your own doubts and fears?

Concluding Thoughts:(Life Application)
While walking in Fairmount Park one day last summer, a fitness instructor was working out with her sister who was not in shape. Her sister did not want to exercise and she had fallen far behind the fitness trainer.

In jogging passed me, the fitness instructor asked my name and I replied, "My name is Jeffrey". She uttered, "Come on Jeffrey, why don't you jog with us"! I started to make excuses and the fitness instructor yelled, "You can do it. You can jog with us".

"No I won't be able to keep up", I said.

She simply mentioned, "Just Take Small Steps".

I was able to keep up with the fitness instructor and her sister for about fifteen minutes by "simply taking small steps". This was a major break through for me because I did not think I would be able to even jog for that short period of time. Yes, I am being honest.

This is the reason why I like to write a blog because it teaches me the importance of communicating with others by "taking small steps" to market and grow by business, Snowell Consulting Inc., against all odds.

Whenever you become overwhelmed with the pressures of life or the people on a particular job, just remember what the fitness instructor said to me that day when I was doubting I could keep up with them and get in shape---she gave me a verbal nudge saying, "Just Take Small Steps".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for posting comments to my blog. Please continue to provide feedback because you never know how helpful your comments might be to the enduser.